Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Dark Days: The Forge

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
grief

Dark Days: The Forge

Post by grief » 16 Jun 2017, 00:40

I'm not a big DC guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm always trying them out, and the Dark Days stuff seems SUPER interesting to me. The Forge works as a primer for this event and I have to say, I enjoyed it all. It brings to mind Blackest Night and Brightest Day in terms of scope, but it has really strong character work.
Spoiler: show
The book has three main threads - Batman, Carter Hall (he hasn't done anything Hawkman-ish yet and, given that I think Savage Hawkman is OOC at this point, I dunno if this Carter is/was active in the Rebirth era of DC - Good God, that sentence. >.<), and Hal Jordan and Duke. Carter has been exploring the mystery of the Nth metal for centuries, since he first discovered the craft that brought it to Earth and gave him resurrection powers, and appears to understand the secret behind it. Batman, in the modern era, is investigating the metal because he knew that the fillings that animated the Talons could NOT have been just regular metals and electricity - that doesn't work. But he did learn that his metal shared an energy signature with powerful DC artifacts - the Helmet of Fate, Aquaman's trident, Wonder Woman's bracers - so he put together the Outsiders to investigate and eventually discovered a green, liquid metal (?) called Dionesium. And Batman is still investigating today. Mr. Terrific has only just returned from the Other Universe with some data, gives it to Bats, they say some mysterious stuff in reference to Plastic Man, and then Bats go to the Fortress of Solitude to unlock some kind of cosmic device. Story hints would appear to indicate this is some kind of compass, perhaps attuned to the Nth metal, but who knows as of yet. Most of this is told to us when Ganthet sends Hal Jordan to investigate Wayne Manor. He teams up with Duke and someone narrates this background information until they discover the source - the Joker!
I'm digging this. I like that it plays on the history of the DC universe, that it has natural story-reasons for the characters involved, and that it feels EPIC. I love Snyder's Batman - and that's the main reason I'm reading this - but the art doesn't mesh very well. Kubert, Lee, and Romita Jr have pretty distinct art styles in my mind, so moving from one to the next is a bit jarring. Thankfully, they wisely broke them up with the three threads (for the most part) so while I found it jarring, it fit the stories being told.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Re: Dark Days: The Forge

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Jun 2017, 01:02

Actually Batman didn't discover Dyonesium, the Joker used it (long story), it also healed Bruce (and took his memories) and it's possibly connected to his supposed immortality (and it was established before it's connected to the Court).

Mister Terrific is from Earth Prime but traveled to Earth-2 and was there after it was destroyed and moved with them to another world.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 18 Jun 2017, 10:08

I've dabbed my toes in the DC pool a few times, most notably a long Green Lantern run from Hal Jordan's return right through to the stary of New 52. I've always neen interested in what's going on at DC but never "dived in". I read about these events on here and other pages and get interested, but this one is probably the first to really pique my interest. It sounds like its really drawing on past threads and lore and pulling it together into something interesting

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jun 2017, 12:21

Well most DC events (the large ones) are usually lore heavy and can be pretty daunting. Hopefully, Snyder avoids too many C-word traits to make it alot easier for newer readers to dive into like you guys but also very rewarding (which it definitely feels like already) for long time fans.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 18 Jun 2017, 14:07

I think the biggest problem I have with DC events isn't the presence of lore, it's the lack of it after. My biggest issue with what I've read - and I'm specifically looking at YOU Brightest Day - is that DC will often pull a lot of stuff together, present it in an interesting and compelling way, and then after the story, it all disperses and everything goes back to business as usual. I was SO butthurt after Brightest Day, where DC got me invested in like six new (new to me, from a "I've never cared about Deadman before!" perspective) characters, only to reboot everything (but the GL canon) with the New 52. I'm hoping that this doesn't do the same thing. Snyder seems big on maintaining his own continuity, so even if the broader DCU doesn't play along, I'm confident he will.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jun 2017, 14:40

Brightest Day was in alot of ways a fluke and a victim of circumstance. You look at the other weekly books and for the most part they fed into a bigger story (52 is still far and away one of the best 52 issues of a comic I ever read...and I'd take a 52 style book at Marvel depicting a post-SW world or a post Secret Empire-pre-Generations world please)

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Wings

Post by Wings » 18 Jun 2017, 22:44

That device Batman kept in the Fortress was one of the devices used to try and protect worlds from destruction in Crisis on Infinite Earths, right?
X-Men Draft: 1. White Queen 2. Banshee 3. Surge 4. Cloak 5.Sunfire 6.Dagger Base: Westchester

grief

Post by grief » 19 Jun 2017, 00:27

Wings wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 22:44
That device Batman kept in the Fortress was one of the devices used to try and protect worlds from destruction in Crisis on Infinite Earths, right?
I've never read it, so I don't know, but HOLY CRAP IF IT IS.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Jun 2017, 00:33

Wings wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 22:44
Yup...last time I saw one was in Infinite Crisis

My X-Men Draft Picks: