Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Invaders #8

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Blackcyclops

Invaders #8

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Aug 2019, 11:40

Yo Chip is knocking it out the park here...this has a Brubaker vibe to it that I love. It reminds me of The Marvel Project series or that Invaders series that dealt with the Kree.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Cable

Re: Invaders #8

Post by Cable » 14 Aug 2019, 21:56

The great thing about Invaders is how it feels like an ode to classic comics but is really totally modern. There is such a sense of paranoia that suffuses this plot. What is really happening with Namor? Did Xavier really help him or is there something more nefarious going on there? Has it evolved into a true split personality in his head? Or does Namor want to do these things and has subconsciously created an excuse?

Him reaching out to Winter Soldier was perfect. I love the interplay between the various characters in this book. The preview suggests next issue another classic hero is brought in. I wonder who it could be?
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Aug 2019, 22:04

If you were to make an Invaders TV series, this would be the perfect inspiration for it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Omnicon

Post by Omnicon » 14 Aug 2019, 22:11

It’s really great stuff to read, the current and the former series to be exactly. Gonna by the whole trades so I read the chapters in one rush.

I just wish they wouldn’t mess with Jim Hammond so much. He gets manipulated, destroyed, damaged,...

And I know Xavier did some shady stuff in his life, but I have the feeling that he is somehow a different character here.

grief

Post by grief » 16 Aug 2019, 15:12

I typically don't go in for Invaders related stuff, but picking up on the Namor thread from Avengers drew me in and I'm glad it did. I feel like previous attempts at Invaders stuff are REALLY reliant on their shared history - which makes sense, I'm not knocking it - I've just never cared for their shared history. But Zdarsky's relying on their emotional bonds more than their historical bonds, if that makes sense, and that WORKS for me. I've always been fascinated by Namor's role as both a protagonist and an antagonist in the Marvel U and he's playing that up as well, which is GREAT, and I loved him pulling the Invisible Woman in here! That was so clever! And unexpected!

I don't terribly enjoy the "modern day" artwork, but it's not bad, and it's level of realism does fit the modern themes of political intrigue that this book is running on. At first I was annoyed that Namor's "invisible" crown didn't show his flattened hair underneath - if the Crown WAS made invisible, then Namor's hair should at least LOOK impacted. But then the thought hit me that Namor probably just cast an illusion that he had no Crown on at all, so I rescinded my complaint.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/