Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Cable

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1

Post by Cable » 10 Jan 2019, 14:46

Do we need yet another title starring Peter Parker? Probably not, but you're going to get one anyway!

Full Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Spider-Man starts his day by rescuing a man and his young daughter from their van that has accidentally careened off a bridge. The man offers to give Spidey money but Peter tells him to instead give it to some homeless people he knows, Jose, Gracie, and Miguel. Pete then rushes home to his apartment building where an old lady named Marnie is waiting for him. He helps her carry her groceries up the stairs since she is afraid of elevators. She then asks Pete to do her a favor since he knows Spider-Man. There is a woman across the hall named Leilani who doesn't come out because she is afraid of something. Pete is to take some apples to her. He does so and Leilani asks if he knows any better heroes than Spider-Man; there is a powerful well-connected man after her. She won't go to the police or leave her apartment so Pete offers to go get food for her. While he is out he runs into the trio of homeless people and they buy him lunch for once. Walking home Peter notes that things seem a little TOO quiet in the area: he rushes to Leilani's apartments and finds some goons are confronting her. One of them takes a swing at him and to hide he is Spidey he allows it to connect...except it knocks him straight out. He is woken up by his roommate Randy and finds the apartment was trashed. He asks Randy to stay with Marnie until the police come, she gives him more apples, and then he returns to his own apartment. There he finds the obnoxious Fred Myers, aka Boomerang, aka his newest roommate. Fred says Leilani dropped off her laundry and said Pete was going to do it. Inside the basket Pete finds two red-skinned eye-glowing children!

There is also a back-up story about Aunt May visiting the doctor because she has a lump on her breast.
So at least this has a clearly defined mandate: Amazing Spider-Man is for the epic superheroic stuff, and this title is supposed to be for more street-level events happening in Peter's immediate neighborhood. Tom Taylor (who is rejoined by Juann Cabal who collaborated with him on All-New Wolverine and now continues to draw that character in X-23, so if you read those you are familiar with the art style here) does do a good job of grounding the character in the area: he is giving people advice on their commute, knows the people on the street by name, is interacting with his fellow building tenants, etc. And the first issue introduces this mostly new cast of characters (and I'm glad to see more of Fred Myers, who has been a great character ever since the underrated Superior Foes series!) and sets up a conflict with a mystery gangster villain (classic Spidey) and a surprise final page with a big complication to Peter's life. So check all the boxes on a successful first issue. I still don't know if we need this series, but Taylor did some good work with Laura so let's see what he can do with Peter.

As for the back-up, it is of course poignant. But at the same time it is like "oh no here we go again." Stories about May possibly dying don't have a great history. She had a very well-done death scene in the 90s, then Byrne undid that for no f#$&ibng reason, we have the OMD debacle--one of the worst comics stories in the history of mankind, etc. Is it heartless to say this lady just needs to go already?
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #10

Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #1

RingOtaku

Re: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Jan 2019, 15:39

Nope. I figured she should have died off when Peter got married. MJ was now his main non-super support. May had served her purpose from a writing standpoint but writers felt like some part of Peter had to remain that young kid needing Aunt May so they kept her around yet keep exposing her to danger every several years so "Aunt May Might Die" is becoming a trope.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 16:01

RingOtaku wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 15:39
Nope. I figured she should have died off when Peter got married. MJ was now his main non-super support. May had served her purpose from a writing standpoint but writers felt like some part of Peter had to remain that young kid needing Aunt May so they kept her around yet keep exposing her to danger every several years so "Aunt May Might Die" is becoming a trope.

I agree, but I will push back on one point: thee thing is that once she was brought back (which is really the biggest tragedy) most writers didnt wanna be the guy to re-kill her...thats why it wasn’t until JMS (I havent read everything but I think like Jean coming back from the dead, May being in danger because of her health is more exaggerated than actually happened between her resurrection and OMD)that somebody actually tried to take her out and then quesada did OMD (I hate the story too). After that May, I won’t lie, was used pretty well (I loved her in Big Time) but I do think her passing isn’t a bad thing. And the part I hate most is that the story Byrne brought her back for was so wack.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Jan 2019, 16:24

Yeah but I'm also looking at all the times she was used to advertise and hype an issue before her actual "death". The threat of Death to sell an issue counts because you end up with that being the perception of the character to the casual fan. Yes she was used well I won't deny that but still: Either ship May off to retirement in Florida or kill her. But this cycle has gotta stop.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 16:28

RingOtaku wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 16:24
Yeah but I'm also looking at all the times she was used to advertise and hype an issue before her actual "death". The threat of Death to sell an issue counts because you end up with that being the perception of the character to the casual fan. Yes she was used well I won't deny that but still: Either ship May off to retirement in Florida or kill her. But this cycle has gotta stop.

Oh yeah before her death definitely! Look at some of those early issues lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Jan 2019, 16:56

It is unfortunate because a breast cancer story is one that deserves to be taken very seriously, yet it is partly difficult to do so because of the past shenanigans with the character. None of those events were done by Taylor though so it isn't really fair to judge his story through that prism, but thats the nature of the beast when you are part of such a long ongoing story of different writers.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #10

Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #1

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jan 2019, 17:54

Cable wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 16:56
It is unfortunate because a breast cancer story is one that deserves to be taken very seriously, yet it is partly difficult to do so because of the past shenanigans with the character. None of those events were done by Taylor though so it isn't really fair to judge his story through that prism, but thats the nature of the beast when you are part of such a long ongoing story of different writers.
I think, or hope, I’m pretty good at taking a story as it is presented though (I basically became that way thanks to Morrison’s run). So I hope this will be a poignant and good story.

My X-Men Draft Picks: