Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain America #2

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Cable

Captain America #2

Post by Cable » 02 Aug 2018, 14:08

Thoughts as we get further into the new volume?

Full Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
The Nuke Platoon attacks a conference of mayors in Chicago. Cap is there and defeats them. The military shows up and General Ross scolds Cap for acting without orders. Cap refuses to stand down and wait for Washington to act; Ross says those in Washington remember Hydra's takeover and there are many theories about what really happened and about who is who. Later Steve is doing a workout when he hears on talk radio a host suggesting the current Steve Rogers and the Hydra-Cap are one and the same. Sharon comes in and tells him Ross has a mission for her and she will be gone for awhile. Steve is distant toward her and she tries to reassure him. He tells her it isn't about her and she says she gets he needs to stop the Nuke attacks but what he really needs is to forgive himself. He thinks that she is right but also she doesn't know about the bargain he made (we see a glowing woman offering to make him strong again) and the bargain he is striking now: he uses a device to contact Black Panther who asks if he is ready to begin as behind we see images of the Power Elite.
The first issue had me excited with the appearance of Selene but unfortunately here in the second issue I feel it loses its momentum. I get that Coates wanted to really get inside the mental state of where Steve is at right now but some more hints of the antagonists could have been dropped other than the very last page. We get that Rogers feels bad about Hydra-Cap and people are distrustful now. I don't think that really merits a full issue's worth of introspection. Oh well, at least we get Yu's fantastic artwork to tide us over until the plot picks up more next issue.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Re: Captain America #2

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Aug 2018, 14:59

See I really...like really liked this issue. But I love how Coates gets into a character’s head and I just really like Steve (at his best, quality wise).
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cable

Post by Cable » 02 Aug 2018, 16:15

Maybe I am being too harsh on it because I do think Coates is getting at something interesting in almost creating a parallel to the Manhattan Project, in which scientists developed a nuclear bomb to end the war while also being consciously aware of how much evil could result in its abuse. And Steve Rogers voluntarily took part in a Super Soldier program and we have since seen numerous times super soldiers used for villainous purposes. But I don't know if I wholly buy into this idea.

It also seems like maybe Cap feels partially responsible for Secret Empire for his interactions with Kobik that restored his youth, but we all know it was Red Skull's shenanigans that are to blame (though maybe I am making the error of conflating reader knowledge with character knowledge--did the heroes ever become fully aware of the extent of Red Skull's manipulation of events?) I don't see how Rogers can have any blame unless he was aware of Pleasant Hill and how they were playing around with a cosmic cube, but he wasn't. Maria Hill is responsible for that and she rightfully got kicked to the curb afterwards.

And I still feel like maybe the schemes of the Power Elite could have been hinted at more here. It looks like at the end that Wilson Fisk is a member (unless it is a different fat bald white guy, there are a lot of fat bald white guys in the world). This issue featured an assault against a conference of mayors, and Fisk just happens to be the mayor of the largest city. They could have maybe showed a scene of him present and playing victim. But I don't know maybe it would have interrupted the flow of this too much and the end is a hint something like that will happen next issue.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Aug 2018, 16:31

Steve is asserting here, i think, that he wanted to be renewed by kobik...now granted he had no knowledge that Skull had corrupted Kobik but he seems to be punishing himself for so carelessly wanting to be a soldier again that he open d himself for what came afterwards.

And I don’t know if its common hero knowledge that Skull changed Kobik...anybody know who all knows?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger