Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Amazing Spider-Man #1

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Blackcyclops

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 11:28

I haven’t been keeping up with scarlet spider’s book, could someone give a quick explainer on the Mysterio-situation
Either way, nice way to start off with Petey at rock bottom...very different than Big Time’s start and nice use of a different villain too.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Monolith

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1

Post by Monolith » 11 Jul 2018, 19:16

This doesn't appear directly tied to Scarlet Spider. Instead, it's a callback to when Mysterio committed suicide in the very first Daredevil Marvel Knights story, only to eventually return alive and well. With Mysterio being Mysterio, it was never 100% clear if he faked his original death or made a literal deal with the Devil to come back to life. Spider-Man/Deadpool used him and Mephisto in an arc that seemed to indicate his Faustian deal was real and, with this issue implicitly pushing back against One More Day, I'd expect to see more of the Devil real soon.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 20:29

Well I mean slott’s (and parts of Spidey/DD) have been slowly chipping away at OMD for a decade now...if anybody would rip it to shreds it should be Spencer of all writers lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 11 Jul 2018, 22:38

I'm cautiously optimistic about Peter/MJ. But considering the last month I'll hold my joy until I can rest assured that this isn't a bait and switch like Bruce/Selina or Kitty/Piotr. Aside from that, I'm really liking Spencer's use of continuity here from the opening MJ/Peter scene, to the use of the Superior Spider-Man story arc. Let's see where this all goes.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 22:56

Yeah well one big diff between them: no fan was clamoring for Kitty and Petey to be married lol (we all still like Dom and Colossus as a thing here lol). I mean they’re still dating right? I just like them dating again (MJ and PP that is)...marriage can be some ways off and I’m cool with

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 13 Jul 2018, 12:19

Wow, what a crotch-kick of a first issue. I don't think I've ever read a character's life go sideways so flippin' quickly! But Spencer did it super well, not only tying together the various plot threads of Peter's life, but bits and pieces of past continuity too. I'm very happy to see Boomerang back in a book and I'm glad to see that he's just as terrible a roommate as I'dve hoped. When Peter got dressed down by Aunt May, I felt like it was MY fault, that guilt was real. I was also thrown off by Mysterio's appearance here, given his recent usage over in Scarlet Spider, and I can't help but feel a bit bad for PAD. I know that Scarlet takes place out in Vegas, so it's practically a world away from New York, but how about a little shared continuity? TOTALLY hyped to see the new Beetle again, I hope she sticks around in this book, and I'm intrigued as to what was going down in that courtroom. I was also quite surprised by the Lizard appearing, but I'm down for that, as I love the Lizard. While I wasn't blown away, I had a good time, this is a solid start, and felt like a natural extension of Slott's run.

Ryan Ottley's artwork was a good mix of Ryan Stegman and Ed McGuiness, very animated, very bright. Great action, great character expressions and acting.

As a 90's fan, it's Peter and MJ for me all the way, and I'm happy to see them try again. Long-Term-Thinking-Grief is already disappointed by their eventual break-up though. *sigh*
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jul 2018, 12:43

But aren’t there multiple Mysterios?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 13 Jul 2018, 13:23

The Mysterio in Scarlet is definitely called Quentin Beck and, during the courtroom scene, I believe the Beetle refers to him as Beck, so this is the same guy.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/