Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain America/Iron Man #3

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Cable

Captain America/Iron Man #3

Post by Cable » 27 Jan 2022, 18:34

Who is reading the new Cap and Iron Man team-up book? Thoughts?

Full Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Veronica Eden offers to reveal all the criminal secrets she knows in exchange for leniency. Iron Man and Captain America don't trust her but she has knowledge so they demand she take them to where Fifty-One is hiding. The Paladins offer their help but Cap turns it down and tells them to spend more time working on the fundamentals. Rogers and Stark fly off in the jet and Eden directs them to a stealth-shielded helicarrier called the Adjunct. The Paladins meanwhile begin to bicker with one another about their shortcomings until Vox rallies them with a speech to convince them they can help Captain America and Iron Man. Speaking of whom, the two heroes are now onboard the helicarrier battling the Myrmidon. It is putting up a strong fight but then they get interrupted by Fifty-One flying in and taking over the battle against the machine. Rogers and Stark then notice that Eden is conversing with The Overseer, the supercomputer that built the Myrmidon. She reveals that she and The Overseer are actually in love with each other and it is going to help her on her quest to destroy all superpowered beings, as she believes they put the planet in danger just as much as they save it. This plan immediately takes a turn for the worse when The Overseer reveals he actually is going to subjugate humanity to the rule of machines. She tries to use a self-destruct codeword but it fails. Cap, Iron Man, and Fifty-One destroy the Myrmidon...that is until The Overseer reveals he has created a whole bunch of Myrmidons.
I haven't heard any buzz about this title and that's a shame because I love what Landy is doing here. This is one of those comics that makes the Marvel Universe feel like a cohesive place. This is a sequel to his (much inferior imo) Falcon and Winter Soldier series, but also directly references and follows events from Civil War, the 50 State Initiative, and Secret Empire, not to mention classic Iron Man comics from the 70s. And while I originally rolled my eyes at us needing a team-up book of two of Marvel's most popular characters who already have their own titles, the story just as much is pushing the little-known D-listers that make up the Paladins and it's fun to see. I will fully admit the plotline is somewhat derivative: Eden's motivations are lifted straight from Zemo in the MCU, and The Overseer's actions will to X-fans be an obvious rehash of the classic Trask Sentinels story (though I will note it also perfectly links with Hickman's current themes in the X-books). Yet Landy does such a great job with the narration and dialogue that he still manages to sell it as a compelling comic. I recommend anyone who reads Marvel comics for the shared universe aspect to give this a try.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Marauders #2 by Steve Orlando (1) and Eleonora Carlini (1)
Non-X titles: Ben Reilly Spider-Man #4 by J.M. DeMatteis (1) and David Baldeon (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Re: Captain America/Iron Man #3

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Jan 2022, 19:04

And that’s why I started reading it and I don’t regret it.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jan 2022, 20:42

Also, I just pretend it’s a new Cap series with him teaming up with Tony lol
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Jan 2022, 21:38

Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 20:42
Also, I just pretend it’s a new Cap series with him teaming up with Tony lol
You are right, it bridges the gap between his books.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Marauders #2 by Steve Orlando (1) and Eleonora Carlini (1)
Non-X titles: Ben Reilly Spider-Man #4 by J.M. DeMatteis (1) and David Baldeon (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Jan 2022, 23:14

You can really draw a thorough-line from Coates run through this book.
-Cly