Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Iron Man 2020 #5

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Cable

Iron Man 2020 #5

Post by Cable » 31 Jul 2020, 20:28

The penultimate issue sets up a big finale!

Full Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
The issue begins with Arno Stark giving a rundown on his life and how it has all led to this moment of him saving the world. But first he needs to enslave humanity. He leaves Sunset Bain in charge on Earth while he goes into orbit; he reassures her that since she is an AI copy of the original she will be unaffected by what is to come. His parents in their new forms join him as he goes to the orbiting station. Meanwhile in the 13th Floor Tony Stark is making new armor with the help of Friday. Their allies all report in: HERBIE, Machinesmith, Awesome Andy, Rescue, Bethany Cabe, Andy Bhang, Machine Man, and Jocasta. And of course they are relying on their mole inside Baintronics...Speaking of which, Sunset Bain decides she is really Madame Menace and destroys the body Arno kept in suspended animation. Her cat runs away and then uses the controls to turn off security; this cat is of course the mole Dr Shapiro. All of the allies come storming in and defeat the Iron Legion. Jocasta uses the Obedience OS Bain once used on her to force Madame Menace to obey her commands. They use the facility to restore Tony's physical form to its original condition and then Stark emerges from the 13th Floor to re-enter his body. Arno is already on the space station though and feeling confident when suddenly an elevator pings and he realizes Stark connected the 13th Floor to the satellite. Iron Man and all his allies come pouring out and fight Arno and Mr and Mrs Stark. Arno mocks Tony for not wearing armor only to realize the new Iron Man armor is made of solid holograms. They fight and Tony proves himself the superior Iron Man until finally Arno is ready to pull his final move: he is next to the button that will execute his program to brainwash all humans. Before he can hit it they are interrupted by a new arrival outside: the massive being Singularity, the extinction level event Arno warned all along he was trying to save Earth from.
The opening overview of Arno is great because it again highlights how his actions are evil but also make total sense from his logic-driven point of view. And then the final page of course just adds fuel to that fire. I do hope this doesn't all end too cleanly though with something like a team-up and all is forgiven and forgotten. Seeing the Stark parents beating up Tony's friends was bizarre lol. Clearly Arno has altered them to no longer be close to what they really are. The dude needs some mental help. In their fight here Tony's tone is completely one of mockery. I hope he reaches more of a point of understanding and pity.

The new Iron Man armor makes total sense (keep up Tony, the X-Men have been using this Danger Room tech for years ;)) yet I don't like it. Honestly I recognize that it is just based out of feelings of nostalgia and wanting the old-fashioned tin-man suit.

Overall Woods is good but I wouldn't go so far as to say great but there are individual panels that leap out. The one of Arno unleashing his arsenal at Tony is fantastic.
Best Comics of Week 31

Best X-Comic: X-Men #10 by Jonathan Hickman (5) and Leinel Francis Yu (1)
Best Non-X Comic: Empyre #3 by Al Ewing (4) and Valerio Schiti (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year

Blackcyclops

Re: Iron Man 2020 #5

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2020, 21:37

I actually totally agree Cable...really this issue for me connects all the depictions of Arno together for me and makes perfect sense in terms of who he was and is as a character.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 31 Jul 2020, 22:30

Arno was really a character under Gillen.

And then Slott happened.

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Aug 2020, 00:56

Aeon wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:30
Arno was really a character under Gillen.

And then Slott happened.
I can see not liking Arno's heel turn, but I don't see how he is "not a character" now. Slott's depiction of him is fairly complex in my opinion and maybe counter to what Gillen did but firmly rooted in the dynamic he initially set-up.
Best Comics of Week 31

Best X-Comic: X-Men #10 by Jonathan Hickman (5) and Leinel Francis Yu (1)
Best Non-X Comic: Empyre #3 by Al Ewing (4) and Valerio Schiti (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year