Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Death of the Inhumans #5

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other Marvel title.
Cable

Death of the Inhumans #5

Post by Cable » 08 Nov 2018, 15:20

The finale to the Death of the Inhumans

Full Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Black Bolt is thinking of the prophecy that someday the Midnight King born of Kree meddling will bring ruin to that species. There is a hidden truth in it...He then 'speaks' with Karnak who theorizes Vox's victims are teleported. Crystal and the others may be alive, but are being transformed and sent by the Kree to the corners of the galaxy. With time and resources maybe they could disconnect the captured Inhumans from the central network, but they don't have that luxury. The damage to Black Bolt's vocal cords means he has one scream left before he loses his voice forever. Black Bolt gathers Karnak, Medusa, Gorgon, and Beta Ray Bill and signs a speech about his rushing into battle too many times has caused them loss, but he has never encountered threats he could not just shout down. This has made him weak. He should listen before he speaks and now they will do this together as a family. He apologizes to them and asks for a moment of silence for their fallen comrades. We then see Vox and the Kree waiting for Black Bolt to return and fall into their trap. The Inhumans ram their ship into the facility and enter the lab. There they find Vox is now Crystal, and she has an evil Lockjaw with her as well. Black Bolt makes it past them and seals himself in the lab. The rest of his crew fight off the Kree, Crystal, and Lockjaw outside. Black Bolt encounters numerous of his fallen Inhuman comrades who have been turned into Vox. He recounts the prophecy that he is to bring ruin to the Kree, and then notes that the Vox are weapons that the Kree will use. But the Inhumans themselves were always the seeds of war planted by Kree and there is no saving them. The truth in the prophecy is that the Midnight King must destroy the Inhumans. He lets out a final scream and obliterates all the transformed Inhumans in the lab. Outside Crystal and Lockjaw return to normal. Black Bolt returns to the others and they teleport away.
This series has been good, but I am torn on this final issue. It had the potential to be better than it was I think.

There is a definitely a tragically beautiful moment of climax here. Black Bolt essentially realizes his own personal failings, but too late to escape the consequences of those mistakes. It is very sad to watch him apologize to the others that his overconfidence in taking action himself has caused everyone to fall, only then in the finale to have to do the exact same thing again (relying on his powers, not letting anyone else know the action he is going to take) and destroying everyone because at that point the situation had become so desperate that there was no other choice.

There are two problems with this though.

A) The impact of this is much lessened because Cates unfortunately pulls his punches. The tragedy of the "death of the Inhumans" is kind of weak when every single major character survives. Who died? Triton and then a bunch of characters nobody cares about (Sterilon and Naja are the only ones I can recall). There should have been real impactful losses.

B) I think the tragic fall of Black Bolt I outlined above requires throwing Saladin Ahmed's great Black Bolt series under the bus a bit. In that series Black Bolt had to get out of a situation without his powers and through relying on others. But apparently he didn't learn a damn thing!

So a mixed bag of emotions for me on this. There are things I like about it and things I don't. At least Olivetti and Bellaire made it look good. I would be interested in hearing what others thought about this conclusion.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Fenix

Re: Death of the Inhumans #5

Post by Fenix » 08 Nov 2018, 17:34

While interesting the whole series final revelation (that the inhumans were not being killed but teleported and transformed in new Voxes) made it much less impactful, as the first issues were horrific and Im pretty sure most of us were just shivering seeing how this or that character was being killed off...

... even if they didnt (mostly).

Unfortunately it looks like Marvel never knew what to do with them, they didnt really understood what is the real place the Inhumans have in the larger MU and now the Inhumans are suffering from many injuries.
The whole Infinity aftermatch and the Terrigen clouds was awful, victimizing the mutants to push them up was another error as they became the opressor and the bad ones (and that wasnt the real intention, we can be sure of that), the TV show was the worst ever done for TV making the CW Arrowverse look awesome if you compare it to Inhumans, then we had way too many books for the Inhumans when they never had that charisma or strength to support those many books (Karnak, Royals, Black Bolt, Uncanny Inhumans, Inhumans, All New Inhumans, Once and Future Kings, Death of Inhumans...) and I fairly think they should have approached a Chris Claremont pov to the whole Inhumans giving them a core and VERY strong book even if weekly or twice a month delving into their dramas, new characters, betrayals, powers, lore and origins... instead of splitting their strongest characters between books with a very weak direction.

So we end the cycle and I hope they disappear for a good while so they go back to their roots, I think what we can get from this last mini is that Kree and Inhumans are in really bad terms now and this means war, this could lead for a good storyline if Marvel decides wisely how to share the story with the rest of the MU, if they add some cosmic players and they finally find the right way to give us a compelling story for them.

Medusa was dying but nobody cared, Gorgon was injured and in a special chair but nobody cared, Karnak was in Secret Warriors and nobody cared, Crystal has been extremely irrelevant since she left the Avengers (and maybe its time for her to rejoin them...), Maximus has died many times and nobody cared, Triton is dead now and nobody cared... and Black Bolt seemingly lost his voice and ir remains to be seen if we actually care much.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Nov 2018, 18:23

The last time I thought the Inhumans were really cool is when they were in space and Blackbolt fought Vulcan. That whole bit with Crystal being forced to marry Ronan and then kinda-sorta falling in love anyway was something I enjoyed, as well as the larger political intrigue. It was the last time they really dealt with the caste society they ruled over, and it's something that would have lent alot of weight and substance to the TV show and/or movie if either had actually come out.

But yeah, added to the NuHuman deaths and Triton were Maximus and Ronan. So a couple of semi-important deaths.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 08 Nov 2018, 20:03

EphemeristX wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 18:23
The last time I thought the Inhumans were really cool is when they were in space and Blackbolt fought Vulcan. That whole bit with Crystal being forced to marry Ronan and then kinda-sorta falling in love anyway was something I enjoyed, as well as the larger political intrigue. It was the last time they really dealt with the caste society they ruled over, and it's something that would have lent alot of weight and substance to the TV show and/or movie if either had actually come out.

But yeah, added to the NuHuman deaths and Triton were Maximus and Ronan. So a couple of semi-important deaths.
I totally agree, thats exactly the last time they were really relevant and interesting and were made included into the larger cosmic storyline where they fitted perfectly.
Also Black Bolt vs Vulcan... epic :)

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 09 Nov 2018, 02:48

The last time I remember seeing Gorgon was in the end of the Royals series. We all thought he died but he turned out to be alive, and it was implied that we were going to see his journey through space and back with the Inhumans. I expected an Inhuman story in which we there would be a big splash page revealing that Gorgon is alive and well and he traveled all throughout space to be back with his love, Medusa. So, his adventures in space happened off-screen, then. He just miraculously appeared in this story with no explanation of how he came back and if he and Black Bolt talked about his relationship with Medusa?

Also, I thought this story took place in another reality.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 10 Nov 2018, 15:03

Wanted to wait until the final issue came before reading this. Not sure how it played out for y'all reading it weekly, but all at once, it left a lot to be desired. Once more, we lose some characters so a story feels weighty. I'm already forgetting a lot of this story as I type this.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors